Saturday - AU
And now for all of the alternate universe fics I’ve read and enjoyed.
- By luthier
- In the Watson family you grew your wings when you found your life’s partner. John didn’t often dwell on the fact that not one of them could actually fly. Wing!fic. Very well written, I enjoyed every word of it, and John and Sherlock were very in character.
- 7723 Words
- Rated General Audiences
- By fengirl88
- John comes home from a trip to the seaside with a pale-eyed young man in tow. Sherlock is tall, brilliant, and strangely sad, and seems incapable of leaving John’s side. One day John brings a seal skin to Harry’s house and makes her promise to hide it, and that she will never, ever tell Sherlock where it is. AU in which Sherlock is a selkie and John is destined to do exactly as the legends say.
- 12375 Words
- Rated Mature
- By machshefa
- On John Watson’s sixth birthday, his mum gave him a flat wooden box to hold his wish stones. In this story, people produce ‘wish stones’ which come out as stones or precious gems, sometimes touchstones or prayer stones, which can in turn be used to signify emotions. Wish stones can be used to make wishes. John, for instance, uses wish stones during Afghanistan to help fallen/injured soldiers. The stones are produced by the body, and based on hints in the text, emerge from the fingertips. It took me a while to understand the concept, but this is now one of my favorite AU’s of any fandom, its so well written and beautiful and the idea is fantastic. (also, in the ending author’s note there are links to stone meanings and stone types to help explain.)
- 9764 Words
- Rated Mature
- By eight_demands
- If his patient thought he was the first person to ever try to intimidate John Watson, he was sadly mistaken. John sometimes considered, in his own head, the subtitle of his Afghanistan years to be “Arseholes with Guns who Love to Yell.” If anything, being verbally abused by a haughty git who was bleeding all over him brought back a rush of warm nostalgia. Sherlock is John’s patient since no one else can stand them. AU in which they meet there instead of through Mike. Also, there’s some Mystrade.
- 12247 Words
- Rated General Audiences
- By yalublyutebya
- John is arrested and serves time for shooting the cabbie. This is too cute and angsty for its own good okay it’s just wonderful. (Brief allusions to violence, and the sexual tension should be a warning all on its own)
- 6187 Words
- Rated Teen and Up Audiences
- By IronicNarwhal
- Sherlock Holmes has met exactly twenty-four Johns in his life. They have all been the wrong John. He’s getting tired of waiting, staring at the inscription on his finger and wondering when his John will turn up, if ever. When everyone is born, a name is inscribed on their finger. That name would be their soul mate. John and Sherlock have almost given up looking. The first part is complete, but the second is still WIP.
- 5456 Words
- Rated Teen and Up
These are WIP’s for this genre that I follow semi-religiously.
Chameleon (which just updated its thirteenth chapter a little while ago.) It’s both crossover and AU, but you don’t need to be a part of the other fandom to understand what’s happening. I love it just as much as any other fic, good lord. I screamed today when I saw the update, that’s how good it is.
The Swan Triad:
A Swan Princess/Sherlock crossover fic. Some aspects of that one are OOC, but much of it is adorable, particularly a section of correspondences between John and Sherlock after Sherlock joins the military. Also, its so beautifully written and lovely I just feel so enamored with this fic. I’ve enjoyed it so much, and it’s nearing completion and while I want it to be complete I just don’t want it to be over. I have so many conflicting emotions.
Well, that’s all I have for now. I never really enjoyed AU before, but after doing this post it’s kind of grown on me. I might post more rec’s for AU tonight/tomorrow, because I simply can’t seem to stop reading them.
This is the last post for the week of fanfiction rec masterposts. I hope you’ve enjoyed them and have found the recs to be acceptable.